Each hometown in Ohio has its own special qualities, undiscovered gems and treasures known only to its residents. Here is your chance to tell our editors about the town you call home and why it is one of Ohio’s best. We want to hear from you about your community’s spirit; education system; attractions, celebrations and events; health and safety programs; business environment; and the culture and heritage that make you proud.
Once again, our editors will select one city, town, village or township from each of five regions of the state to be named Ohio Magazine Best Hometown in 2015. Hometowns that are selected by our editors will be featured in the November 2014 issue.
The Guidelines are Simple:
Address each of the following categories of civic life and tell us — in 500 words or less for each category - why your hometown is the best. We also welcome and encourage you to supply additional material you feel would be helpful in our choices. This might consist of community guides, statistics, published articles, testimonials from residents, or any other information that might illuminate the stellar qualities of your hometown.
Tell us why your hometown is the best in the following categories of civic life:
- Community Spirit. Talk about how your town expresses its character through its neighborliness, physical appearance, civic pride and volunteer efforts. Is your town home to particularly distinguished community organizations? What sets you apart from the rest?
- Education. Tell us why your town is an academic success story. Are there outstanding alumni who have made their mark in Ohio or the rest of the world? Talk about stellar academic or extra-curricular programs that you are particularly proud of.
- Entertainment. Why do visitors enjoy spending time in your town? Is it an outstanding park system or award-winning attraction? Is your town known for a special event or festival?
- Health and Safety. Do the members of your community take pride in everything from the safety of their streets to their first-rate recycling program? Tell us about the ways your hometown cares for its own — and others — through municipal programs, non-profits and community groups.
- Business Environment. Tell us about your hometown’s economic climate. What are the booming industries, and what’s creating new jobs in your town? If you had to convince a close friend or family member to move to your town, what business indicators would you point out?
- Culture and Heritage. Provide us with information about the cultural amenities of your town, including its museums and other points of cultural interest. Also, let us know about what your town has done to preserve its heritage, through programs designed to keep its history alive.
Entries must be received by:
May 30, 2014
(Materials submitted will not be returned)
Mail entries to:
1422 Euclid Avenue,
Cleveland, OH 44115